A panel of the National Research Council has announced that there is sufficient scientific data to warrant an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) assessment of the health effects from cumulative exposure to toxic, plastic-softening chemicals known as phthalates.
Phthalates, make plastic products soft and flexible and differ from bisphenol A-BPA-which hardens plastics. Both chemicals have been linked to hormonal disturbances and a variety of other adverse effects and both have made headlines in recent months over their continued use, especially in products and toys meant for children. Despite the know dangers phthalates can be found in soft plastic toys and children’s products such as rubber ducks, teethers, and pacifiers - while BPA is found in baby bottles.
Most new parents dread the “teething stage”. It can be a painful ordeal for your little one as well as for you. This is where teething toys come in to save the day.
Sophie the Giraffe is made from pure, natural rubber extracted from the Hevea brasiliensi tree. This all natural teething toy is free from BPA, PVC, parabens, phthlatates, and chemical softeners. Food paints are used to color Sophie the Giraffe. Sophie is made by Vulli, she is soft, flexible, and slender, making her easy for babies to grasp and squeeze. In fact, she makes a sweet happy sound when squeezed. Babies love to chew on Sophie the Giraffe’s bumpy head to soothe their teething aches and pains. Parents love how Sophie the Giraffe is completely non-toxic, BPA-free, and phthalate-free, and is painted with food-quality paints.
Sophie the Giraffe stimulates all of the baby’s senses:
- Sight: The dark and contrasting spots all over Sophie the Giraffe’s body provide visual stimulation and make her easily recognizable to baby. She soon becomes a familiar and reassuring object.
- Hearing: Her squeaker keeps baby amused, stimulates his hearings, and helps him to understand the link between cause and effect.
- Taste: Sophie the Giraffe is very flexible and has lots of parts for baby to chew (ears, horns, legs). She is perfect for soothing baby’s sore gums when teething and is completely safe.
- Touch: Sophie the Giraffe is perfect for baby’s small hands. She is very light and her long legs and neck are easy for baby to grip. She is very soft to touch, just like baby’s mommy, stimulating soothing physiological and emotional responses.
- Smell: The singular scent of natural rubber (from Hevea tree) makes Sophie the Giraffe very special and easy for your child to identify amid all his other toys.
Sophie the Giraffe has been a favorite teething toy among babies for over 40 years! Ask just about any parent who had a teething baby, and they will recommend Sophie the Giraffe!